TIME TRAVEL WITH ROMANOV FAMILY: ZNAMENIE CHURCH
ZNAMENIE CHURCH: Church of “The Sign” – was established at the request of the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Petrovna (daughter of Peter the Great) on May 13, 1734, and designed by the architect M.G. Zemtsov. After her accession to the throne, the Empress Elizabeth commanded that her ancient icon of the Mother of God of the Sign, would be especially honored there. Later the church was rebuilt and embellished, but the icon remained there and became known as the “Tsarskoe Selo” Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign.