ROMANOV FAMILY: “THE FAMOUS” ALEXANDER PALACE BALCONY
The Alexander Palace balcony was an addition made by the last imperial family: Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra, in 1896. The balcony, which was to give Alexandra the opportunity to go outdoors without leaving the palace. It was completely wired for electricity during the First World War, in 1915. Rain or shine, summer or winter, the Romanov family enjoyed tea time, meals and general leisure time on this balcony. Every Romanov family member mentioned “the balcony” in their diaries or correspondence. Numerous photographs were posed for on the balcony as well (see below).